Dovecot obtains a user's user ID (UID), group ID (GID), home directory and mail location from the user database after the user has been authenticated. The user database may also return extra fields which are sent to the IMAP/POP3 process. These may be used as parameters for plugins, for example.
User and password databases may be the same or they may be different depending on your needs.
For more information about UID and GID, see UserIds.
For more information about home directory and mail location, see VirtualUsers.
Currently supported user databases are:
[wiki:AuthDatabase/Passwd Passwd]: /etc/passwd or similiar (using getpwnam() function)
[wiki:AuthDatabase/PasswdFile Passwd-file]: /etc/passwd-like file in specified location
- [wiki:AuthDatabase/LDAP LDAP]: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
- [wiki:AuthDatabase/SQL SQL]: SQL database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite)
- [wiki:UserDatabase/Static Static]: Userdb information generated from a given template
- [wiki:AuthDatabase/VPopMail VPopMail]: External software used to handle virtual domains
- [wiki:UserDatabase/Prefetch Prefetch]: This assumes that the passdb already returned also all the required user database information