Dovecot obtains a user's [:UserIds:UNIX user ID (UID), UNIX group ID (GID)], home directory and [:MailLocation:mail location] from the user database after the user has been authenticated. The user database may also return [wiki:UserDatabase/ExtraFields extra fields] which are sent to the IMAP/POP3 process in environment variables.
The user and password databases may be the same or they may be different depending on your needs. You can also have [:Authentication/MultipleDatabases:multiple databases].
For more information about UID and GID, see UserIds.
For more information about home directory and mail location, see MailLocation.
Currently supported user databases are:
[wiki:AuthDatabase/Passwd Passwd]: /etc/passwd or similiar (using getpwnam() function)
[wiki:AuthDatabase/PasswdFile Passwd-file]: /etc/passwd-like file in specified location
- [wiki:AuthDatabase/LDAP LDAP]: Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
- [wiki:AuthDatabase/SQL SQL]: SQL database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite)
- [wiki:UserDatabase/Static Static]: Userdb information generated from a given template
- [wiki:AuthDatabase/VPopMail VPopMail]: External software used to handle virtual domains
- [wiki:UserDatabase/Prefetch Prefetch]: This assumes that the passdb already returned also all the required user database information